Best Homeschool Parenting Tips with Melanie Wilson ~ Episode 451
What are the best homeschool parenting tips? Well, you are about to find out. Join Felice Gerwitz and Melanie Wilson, podcaster on The Homeschool Sanity Show, here, and learn what works and ways you can overcome disrespect.
Thanks to our sponsor, Media Angels, Inc. with an entire line of online classes, books, and audios to help you with your homeschool journey.
Today we will discuss parenting tips to help you gain control of your family and your life!
Melanie is a Christian Psychologist and she spoke about the difference between disrespect and disobedience, and how important it is to identify and remediate. Simply, disrespect is a child’s willful defiance of authority and poor treatment with a lack of respect. Whereas, disobedience is when a child doesn’t do what he is told. When children are allowed to disrespect a parent it is a recipe for disaster. There are reasons why a parent does not discipline, and this could be due to temper, anger management issues, or abuse as a child. However, there are ways to discipline without using physical punishment, and one is taking away privileges. [Melanie and Felice discuss various types of discipline that work well in this case.]
- Parents often use too many words. There is no need to explain why you are disciplining your child.
- Building a child’s character is important. A child is not what they do. [Felice shares her definition of character assassination and why it should never be used.]
- Validating a child’s strengths is important. If a child feels validated, they will feel respected.
Listen to the audio for many more insights about parenting.
Here are some of Melanie’s shows that you don’t want to miss.
- How to Prevent Sibling Rivalry
- Parenting Practices for Christian Homeschoolers
- 3 Child Discipline Lies That Make Homeschooling Harder
- 3 More Child Discipline Lies That Make Homeschooling Harder
- Have a New Kid by Friday by Kevin Leman
We as parents can do the following:
- Respect is required. It is not an option.
- If needed be firm, raise your voice. Mean business.
- Remove from the room.
We can say things such as, that was disrespectful. Sometimes less words works well.
Have a business attitude. You mean business and you deserve respect. You are the parents.
While none of us are perfect, some parents do not parent because they think they are imperfect. False notion and can hinder parenting.
How to discipline:
- Require obedience
- Use discipline that makes sense. If your child wastes your time, you can have your child do one of your chores, make the punishment fit the problem that was caused as much as possible. (Taking away free time.)
- Easiest response to disobedience is to deny the next “ask” – whether it is screen time, phone privileges, time with friends, etc.
- You don’t have to go into a long explanation of why – sometimes that distracts the child from the situation and they still think there was an injustice on your part, and they forget why they are in this situation to begin with.
- Sometimes a child may pitch a fit – ride it out. Remove the child for misbehavior, but be sure that you do not give in. Consistency is important.
The post Best Homeschool Parenting Tips with Melanie Wilson appeared first on Ultimate Homeschool Podcast Network.
VHM-451-DisciplineWorksMelanieWilson.mp3 (3 bytes)